Sam Newsome

Sam Newsome
"The potential for the saxophone is unlimited." - Steve Lacy



Now available of Bandcamp!

Now available on Bandcamp!

Now available on Bandcamp!

Tuesday, March 31, 2020

The First Time I Met Wallace Roney

My first encounter with Wallace Roney was back in 1988. I was still at Berklee, about to graduate, and only marginally prepared for the world on which I was about to embark a few months later.

At the time, Wallace was working with the Tony Williams Quintet at the Regatta Bar inside of the Charles Hotel in Cambridge, Mass. All the heavies from New York used to come through the Regatta Bar. I heard McCoy Tyner, Hank Jones, J.J. Johson, Sphere, Branford Marsalis, Freddie Hubbard...many pleasant memories. Looking back on it, I may have received a better education there than at Berklee, in somes respects.

Wallace had just released his debut recording Verses on the Muse label with Gary Thomas on tenor saxophone, Mulgrew Miller on iano, Charnett Moffett on bass, and Tony Williams on drums. It's a really cool record. A lot of my hyper-ambitious friends and I saw the Regatta Bar not just as a chance to hear some great music but as an opportunity to network. We didn't have social media back then. We had to actually be social. He was someone I thought I'd like to work with when I moved to New York, so I figured what better time to introduce myself. Wrong!

I've always been somewhat resourceful, so I just called the front desk and said, "Yes, would you please connect me to the room of Wallace Roney." I knew it was common for the musicians playing at the Reggata Bar to stay at the Charles Hotel. Lo and behold, they put me through. As expected, there was a lot of awkward silence--especially him not knowing me from Adam. Feeling our conversation going nowhere, I decided to ask him about his recording, Verses. Now, I probably should have asked something along the lines of 'how did you approach this tune?" Or "what were you thinking when you played on that tune?" But I didn't. I asked him how he got his record deal. But he heard it as: How did YOU get a deal? And how can I get one? Needless to say, our conversation went from chili to cold and me getting some stern words on how I need to pay some dues.

A few familiar friends later ended up vouching for me. Having my back, they told him I wasn't a "jive as" you know what, and that I could actually play. We ended up having a very polite conversation when I went to the Regatta Bar that night to hear him with Tony. But that awkward first conversation still comes back to haunt me.

But if you know anything about Wallace and his brother Antoine, it's that they LOVE music. Most musicians, myself included love playing and the creative process. Wallace REALLY loved the music! Terence Blanchard coined the phrase music-aholic. This was Wallace. You could hear in his playing. You could hear it in the passion with which he spoke about music--especially Miles, and everybody who's ever played with Miles.

Thank you, Mr. Roney, for all that you've left us. We'll miss your passion, your commitment and most of all, your sound.

Rest in peace.

 Oh...and this is one of my favorite Wallace Roney moments!

No comments:

Blank Page Syndrome

Sydney Sheldon's poignant quote, "A blank piece of paper is God's way of showing you how hard it is to be God," deeply res...