Sam Newsome

Sam Newsome
"The potential for the saxophone is unlimited." - Steve Lacy



Now available of Bandcamp!

Now available on Bandcamp!

Now available on Bandcamp!

Saturday, October 26, 2019

84th Annual Readers Poll: The Soprano Saxophone Category

I was pleasantly surprised to see that I had placed in the 84th Annual DownBeat Readers Poll in the Soprano Saxophone category. I am the LAST ONE on the list, mind you. But I don't see this as a negative. Trust me when I say that many did.

Here's the way I see it: Most people on this list are either ultra-mainstream or are at least "jazz famous." I'm more in the middle. My music over the last decade can hardly be described as mainstream. In fact, it pushes boundaries, even compared to the revered avant gardists. And as far as me being known...I'm not "jazz famous," I more "jazz respected"--at least I'd like to think so.

Me being a part of this is not only a win for me, but for everyone who has decided to play by their own rules. I'm a firm believer that if you consistently put your work out there, folks will listen.


Believe
Conceive
SHARE!



For the complete list of results, CLICK HERE




No comments:

Blank Page Syndrome

Sydney Sheldon's poignant quote, "A blank piece of paper is God's way of showing you how hard it is to be God," deeply res...