Here's some very challenging music to listen to!
In this clip, saxophonist Roscoe Mitchell is playing a solo soprano saxophone set at the Nickelsdorf Konfrontationen Festival. This festival features free jazz and improvised music in a small village in the Austrian province of Burgenland close to the border with Hungary.
Roscoe is combining two extended techniques--circular breathing and multiphonics. It can be difficult to circular breath on one multiphonic like this. This particular one is actually good, because it's consistent.
At times, it sounds almost industrial--similar to a jackhammer. I used to practice circular breathing on this very multiphonic. I could never figure out what to do with it musically, so I put it down. Now that I hear Roscoe exploring it, I might investigate it again.
It's a good thing a bought my sound-proofed Whisper Room!
- ► 2017 (43)
- ► 2016 (19)
- ► 2015 (31)
- ► 2014 (18)
- ► 2013 (15)
- ► 2012 (31)
- ► 2011 (25)
- Lol Coxhill (solo soprano)
- John Butcher (solo soprano)
- Roscoe Mitchell (Solo Soprano Saxophone)
- Keith Jarrett Plays the Soprano Saxophone
- Soprano Titans: Shorter and Liebman
- The Art of Circular Breathing on Soprano
- Masters of Extended Techniques
- Soprano Saxophone Extended Techniques
- A Microtonal Saxophonist
- ▼ November (9)