Sam Newsome

Sam Newsome
"The potential for the saxophone is unlimited." - Steve Lacy



Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Ten (10) Prepared Saxophone Discoveries: Part 1

Over the past year or so, I've made numerous prepared saxophone discoveries. The most fascinating has been the external-preparation, internal-manipulation hybrids that have allowed me to create even more unusual sonic concoctions.

Below are ten such discoveries. I can't remember exactly how many videos I've uploaded demonstrating these techniques, but these seem to be the ten that stick out most in my mind.

Enjoy! And more to come.


L 

1. Double-Prepared Saxophone with Aluminum Foil and Plastic Tube Extension





2. Prepared Saxophone with Balloons 






3. Ostinato in 23/8 with Tube Extensions





4. Tube Extension with Plastic Water Bottle





5. SaxDrum - Soprano with Deflated Balloon on the Bell





6. Soprano with Groan Tube Noise Maker






7.  Soprano with Deflated Balloon on the Bell Played Like a Bata Drum





8. Soprano with Flugelhorn Bubble Mute and Plastic Tube Extension



9. Soprano with Three-Inch Tube Extension



10. Duo Concert with Sandy Ewen on Prepared Guitar @ Downtown Music GalleryOver the past year or so, I've made numerous prepared saxophone discoveries. The most fascinating has been the external-preparation, internal-manipulation hybrids that have allowed me to create even more unusual sonic concoctions.



No comments:

ALGORITHMISM: The New “Ism” of the Digital Age

There’s a new ism in town. For generations, society has coined these terms to capture the ways we feel held back—sexism, racism, ageism. Eac...