Sam Newsome

Sam Newsome
"The potential for the saxophone is unlimited." - Steve Lacy



Now available of Bandcamp!

Now available on Bandcamp!

Now available on Bandcamp!

Thursday, July 11, 2019

Prayer and Creativity




I've always thought of prayer as a positive thing. There is something comforting about surrendering to a higher power. At every age, young and old, we all need to feel that someone has our back. Prayer also has a centering effect. Creating similar physiological responses as practicing yoga and meditating.

Regarding prayer, we're familiar with the practice of praying before bed or before we eat. How about before we create? As I like to say: "We prayed before we ate, now let's pray before we create." Hence, my "Creativity Prayer."

As you'll soon figure out, it's loosely based on the very popular "Serenity Prayer" by Reinhold Niebuhr. 


CREATIVITY PRAYER

CREATIVITY, grant me the wisdom
to accept the things I cannot play,
the courage to play the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.

Playing one day at a time;
enjoying one gig at a time;
accepting musical challenges as a pathway to peace.

Taking, as ALL THE GREATS did,
my musical ideas as they are,
not as how I’d like them to be;
trusting that YOU will make all things right
if I surrender to YOUR will;
so that I may be reasonably happy while creating, and supremely happy while performing, whenever I’m blessed with the opportunity.

Amen


So there you have it! Now, let's go put it to good use.

No comments:

Blank Page Syndrome

Sydney Sheldon's poignant quote, "A blank piece of paper is God's way of showing you how hard it is to be God," deeply res...