When you decide to become an artist, even when you become famous, you’re still an outsider. So get used to it. And for the record: Being an outsider or insider is usually not about the number of fans you have, nor the amount of money you have, but the vision you have. Embrace it. Share it.
Thursday, August 9, 2018
Wednesday, August 8, 2018
I'm a big proponent of artists/musicians getting 9-5 jobs. It's nothing wrong with paying the bills while continuing to stay focused on your vision. Is it better to be continually gigging and having lost your direction, or selectively gigging keeping your focus intact?
Monday, August 6, 2018
- Artist makes demo;
- Artist gives demo to manager;
- Manager gives demo to lawyer;
- Lawyer gives demo to A&R rep;
- A&R rep signs artist to label;
- Label records artist;
- Label releases record to the world.
- Artist makes recording;
- Artist makes recording available to the world.
Many don’t realize we’re experiencing a music business revolution. That’s because they’re telling themselves a story from the 1980s. This is a new day of abundance, filled with hope, and opportunities to share and connect. Don't squander it. Start telling yourself a new story.
Sunday, August 5, 2018
Creativity is like a parade of ideas marching through the metaphorical town known as our work. The best view of any parade is from the sidelines. Get in front, you might get trampled. Get in the middle, you might get lost. Get in the back, you might get left behind.
Saturday, August 4, 2018
Four Must-haves for Success in the Entertainment Business
1. Must have friends
2. Must be at the right place at the right time
3. Must have an organization of people in support of what you do
4. Must have lots of luck
If these four things are clicking, your talent will develop just from opportunities to work.
Musicians often don't realize that the music scene is exactly how it should be. Usually, the only thing wrong is the story we tell ourselves about it. We can be the optimist basking in the middle of it, or the naysayer peering at it from the outside.
What story are you telling?
Thursday, August 2, 2018
Many musicians think that piracy is our biggest worry. That’s 1980's thinking. In this internet age, obscurity should be what we fear most. Don’t worry about people stealing your music. You should be so lucky to have someone want to steal something you created. SHARE don’t HOARD.
- Thought of the day: Outsider/Insider
- Thought of the day: Ruler
- Thought of the day: Having a Job
- Thought of the day: The Harvest
- Thought of the day: A New Business Paradigm
- Thought of the day: Hope
- Thought of the day: Doing the Work
- Thought of the day: Creativity
- Thought of the day: Success
- Thought of the day: Storytelling
- Thought of the day: Sharing
- Thought of the day: Communities
- ▼ August (12)
- ► 2017 (48)
- ► 2016 (19)
- ► 2015 (31)
- ► 2014 (18)
- ► 2013 (15)
- ► 2012 (31)
- ► 2011 (25)